Looking for a gluten free recipe for fluffy, moist, and absolutely delicious muffins? Well, you've found it! These almond flour banana muffins with chocolate chips are healthy, paleo, and grain free, bursting with light banana flavor and melty dark chocolate chips. They are made with 10 ingredients and come together within 20 minutes, making them the easiest healthy breakfast, dessert, or snack!
These are the best gluten free muffins I ever ever eaten. Gluten free baked goods have a bad rap for being flat, gummy, or dry. These muffins aren't any of those things. They're fluffy, moist, and insanely delicious!
I love meal prepping these almond flour banana muffins at the beginning of the week and having them made ahead of time for an on-the-go breakfast or an easy sweet snack. They're made with 10 wholesome ingredients and are sweetened with overripe bananas and honey. That means there is no refined sugar and absolutely no guilt!
Making refined sugar free recipes is something I absolutely love to do. Some of my favorite refined sugar free recipes on the blog are my Gluten Free Chocolate Blackberry Cupcakes and Red Velvet Chickpea Cookie Dough. I love these banana chocolate chip muffins, and I'm sure all your friends and family will too!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- The muffins are gluten free, grain free, and paleo because of almond flour.
- They're naturally sweetened with bananas and honey.
- They're kid-approved.
- The muffins come together in under 30 minutes.
- They make a healthy and delicious on-the-go snack or breakfast.
Are These Muffins Healthy?
Yes! There are many reasons why these almond flour banana chocolate chip muffins are healthy. Firstly, they are made with only 10 simple ingredients (not including the optional chocolate chips). All of the ingredients are from real, whole foods. Secondly, they are gluten free, grain free, and paleo. Lastly, they are naturally sweetened with bananas and raw honey.
These moist banana muffins certainly are a nutrient dense, good for you, delicious choice for breakfast!
Here are all the ingredients that make these gluten free muffins super moist and fluffy like a cloud!
- Overripe bananas - You will need 2-3 overripe bananas for this recipe. The bananas should be quite soft with brown speckles.
- Almond flour - Almond flour makes these banana chocolate chip muffins super moist. I recommend using super-fine almond flour for the best consistency. Use almond flour, not almond meal.
- Baking powder - This is a leavener to help the muffins rise. See this baking powder recipe if you are following the paleo diet.
- Baking soda - An additional ¼ teaspoon of baking soda helps the muffins rise even more.
- Sea salt
- Eggs - 2 eggs will help the muffins have good structure.
- Tahini - This adds some moisture to the muffins and additional nutrients. Make sure you tahini is high quality and mixed thoroughly.
- Honey - This adds a little extra sweetness to the banana muffins. I used wildflower honey but any type of honey will work in this recipe. Two of my favorites are Manuka and Buckwheat. Raw honey is best if you are following the paleo diet.
- Pure vanilla extract
- Apple cider vinegar - This is typically used when making gluten free bread to help strengthen the dough. It seems to help these gluten free muffins too!
- Chocolate chips - I used a combination of normal and mini dark chocolate chips, but any size will do. Dark chocolate chunks would be delicious. You can use cacao nibs or Hu Chocolate Gems to make this recipe completely paleo.
Kitchen Tools You'll Need
These almond flour banana muffins with chocolate chips are a breeze to make. You will only need a few kitchen tools.
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Mixing utensil (whisk, fork, or rubber spatula)
- Muffin pan
- Muffin liners
Step by Step Instructions
These almond flour banana chocolate chip muffins are a breeze to make. All you need is a bowl, a whisk, and a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
Step 1: Mash the Bananas
Mash the overripe bananas in a bowl with a fork until the consistency is smooth.
Step 2: Whisk Together the Dry Ingredients
With a whisk or fork, combine all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
Step 3: Mix Together the Wet Ingredients
Add all the wet ingredients to the mashed bananas and combine with a rubber spatula, whisk, or wooden spoon.
Step 4: Add the Dry Ingredients to the Wet Ingredients
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
Step 5: Fold in the Chocolate Chips
Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and other mix-ins of your choice. I used a combination of allergy friendly chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips.
Step 6: Scoop into Muffin Pan and Bake
With a cookie scoop, fill each muffin liner ¾ of the way full. Top with additional chocolate chips and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 14-17 minutes.
Hint: When the almond flour banana muffins are done baking, a toothpick should come out of the center cleanly with only a few moist crumbs on it.
Storage and Serving
Allow the muffins to cool completely on a wire rack and then transfer to an airtight container. Wait for the chocolate to cool and harden before stacking the muffins on top of each other. If you don't want to wait and the chocolate is still slightly melty, do not stack them since they could get stuck.
The muffins will last for about 4 days on the counter and about a week in the refrigerator. You can freeze these muffins in an airtight container for up to one month.
Enjoy these muffins warm, at room temperature, or straight from the fridge.
While the almond flour can't be substituted in these muffins, here are a few things that can be.
- Instead of honey, use maple syrup.
- Cacao nibs can be used instead of chocolate chips.
- Two flax eggs can be used instead of chicken eggs to make this recipe vegan.
- Creamy almond butter or cashew butter can be used instead of tahini.
Here are a few different things you can add to these muffins instead of chocolate chips.
- Nuts - some of my favorites are raw walnuts, pecans, and pistachios.
- Dried fruit - add dried tart cherries, cranberries, apricots, or raisins.
- Spices - add about ½ teaspoon of warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and clove.
Here are some tips for baking these gluten free banana muffins to ensure that you get the best results.
- Use brown bananas - bananas that have brown speckles and are slightly soft are best for this recipe. Overripe, brown bananas are easier to mash than yellow bananas and are also more fragrant.
- Measure almond flour correctly - be sure to spoon and level your almond flour. Compacted almond flour can cause dry muffins.
- Don't overbake the muffins - overbaked muffins are tough and dry, so keep an eye on your oven and use the toothpick test to determine if they are done. These banana chocolate chip muffins will be moist, so don't let that scare you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Almond Flour Banana Muffins Low Carb?
No, they aren't low carb. Bananas are actually a carb themselves. However, this recipe is low in processed carbohydrates.
Can I Substitute the Almond Flour?
No, you cannot substitute almond flour. Using a different grain free flour will cause the muffins to rise differently. Make sure to use almond flour and not almond meal.
Can I Make Mini Muffins?
Yes, you can! This recipe will make about 24 mini muffins. The baking time will be shorter, so check you mini muffins after about 10 minutes.
For More Gluten Free Recipes, Check Out My
Almond Flour Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Mash the overripe bananas in a bowl with a fork until the consistency is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Add the wet ingredients to the mashed bananas and mix until well incorporated. Slowly fold in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- With a cookie scoop, fill each muffin liner about ¾ of the way full. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top. Bake for 14-17 minutes until the muffins have risen and the tops are golden brown.
- Allow the muffins to cool slightly before removing from the muffin pan and enjoy!