The holidays are here, and we all know what that means! It’s cookie season! These cream cheese Christmas sugar cookies with almond frosting are perfect for the holiday season. They are soft and sweet with a creamy, incredibly delicious almond extract icing. Santa won’t be able to stop eating them!
Ah yes, the holiday season has arrived. And in my house, Christmas means cookies! My family makes tons of different fun types of cookies every year for Christmas, but my favorite ones are these cream cheese cutout cookies with almond frosting. These cookies are what gave me two of my greatest food loves: cream cheese and almond. Truly two of the best flavors ever!
I’m so excited to share this recipe on my blog with you guys. We’ve been making these cutout cookies practically since I was born. The recipe is in this super old cookbook that my mom has had in our kitchen since the 90s’. I can’t remember what the cookbook is called at the moment, but the whole book is a gem. However, we have made this particular recipe so, so many times that feels like it is our own. The cookies are soft and chewy and mild, which makes them the perfect base for a sweet frosting flavored with almond extract. They never, ever last more than a week at our house and are a favorite at holiday gatherings.
I’m going to keep the introduction short and get right into the recipe! I hope you guys give these cream cheese cookies a try! They are so nostalgic for me and are super, super delicious.
Recipe via the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
Cream Cheese Cutout Cookies with Almond Frosting
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 8oz package cream cheese
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoon softened butter
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 4-5 tablespoon milk
- Food coloring
- In a large mixer bowl, combine butter and cream cheese. Beat until well combined.
- Add sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla, and almond extract and beat well.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to cream cheese mixture; beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 1.5 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ⅛ inch thickness. Cut with desired cookie cutters and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes or until done.
- Remove onto wired racks and cool.
- In a small mixer bowl, beat 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons softened butter, and ¼ teaspoon almond extract until smooth.
- Beat in enough milk (4-5 tablespoons) until of piping consistency. For spreadable icing, add a little more milk.
- Add in a few drops of desired food coloring. If using multiple colors, separate frosting into different bowls beforehand.
- Frost and garnish with sugar, nuts, or whatever you desire!
I’d love to know in the comments about what you all think of these cookies once you try them! They are an essential part of my childhood and my family’s Christmas every year. It wouldn’t be Christmas in our house without them! Also let me know what traditions your family has for the holidays and what kind of cookies you make! Thank you all so much for reading, I’m so grateful for all of you. Cheers and happy holidays!