Wondering how to cook tofu? How to roast tofu? Or how to bake tofu or how to roast tofu perfectly so that it is flavorful and not at all mushy? Well, this easy tofu recipe is for you! This marinated herb baked tofu recipe will teach you how to cook tofu in the oven and how to make tofu crispy and delicious with wholesome and yummy ingredients like lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs.
What is Tofu? Why Should I Cook Tofu?
Tofu was one of my staple foods when I was vegetarian. After being vegetarian for almost ten years, I decided that it would be best for my health to incorporate some white meat back into my diet. My body needed more protein! You’d think that with chicken and turkey, there would be no need to keep eating tofu. But I just love the taste and texture of baked tofu so much, it remains a staple in my diet! Another reason that I still eat tofu (and tempeh) is because eating plant-based foods is important to me. This is because eating whole food plant based is generally better for the environment. I still and will probably always love using and making tofu for tacos, wraps, and a variety of other dishes.
Also, I usually still get the tofu, or sofritas, in my burrito bowls at Chipotle!! The sofritas are a little spicy but delicious. Tofu is such a versatile ingredient!
But let’s face it, plain tofu is bland. Tofu can be great, but it is a tricky ingredient to work with. It is made by “coagulating soybean milk into curds” and then pressing those curds together to form a block. This makes the tofu have a high water content, but the water content can also vary based on the firmness of the tofu and how it is packaged. The water makes the tofu mushy, which I’ve found to be the most common criticism of it. Another common complaint when it comes to tofu is that it is very bland. However, my friends, there is a way to fix both of these things. And this way makes the best tofu. Introducing a new recipe: marinated and baked tofu!
How to Make Herb Baked Tofu: Cooking Tofu in the Oven Tips!
This marinated herb baked tofu recipe takes a watery block of tofu and transforms it into a delicious and nutritious vegan protein to add to so many different dishes. However, there are a couple essential things you must do to when preparing tofu before marinating and roasting it. Make sure that you:
- Buy extra firm tofu. Learning how to prepare extra firm tofu is much easier than silken tofu.
- Press the tofu! You need to do this even with extra firm tofu. You can do this with a tofu press but you do not need one. Another thing you can do to prepare tofu by pressing it is to use a plate with paper towels and then put the tofu on top of the plate. Then place more paper towels on top of the tofu. Place another plate and some heavy items like cans on top of that and let the tofu drain for at least 15 minutes. Gotta get that water out to prevent mushy tofu!
After you follow those directions and complete this easy tofu recipe, you will have a delicious pan of baked tofu with flavors of lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh herbs. I added the tofu to a copycat sweetgreen harvest bowl, and you can find that on my Instagram feed. Let’s get into this delicious and easy vegan herb tofu recipe!
- Block of extra firm tofu
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- Drain the tofu. Cut into cubes and place on a plate covered in paper towels. Place more paper towels on top of the tofu cubes and then stack another plate and any heavy items (cans and pans work) on top of that. Let drain for at least 15 minutes
- Mix oil, lemon juice, and herbs in a Ziplock or similar reusable bag. Add the tofu and let marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F while the tofu is marinating.
- Remove tofu from bag and arrange on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake the seasoned tofu for a total of 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes.
- Let your roasted tofu cool and then add to salads and bowls. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 3.5 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120