Sweet dreams lie ahead with this pink rose moon milk. This sleep tonic is a tasty, warming bedtime beverage that will help you rest. It is naturally gluten free, dairy free, easy to make, and will help promote deep sleep. The pink color is an added dreamy bonus.
With all the stress of this past year, I think we could all use some help getting a good night's sleep. Throughout my journey with wellness, I have been continuously working on improving my sleep routine. I always try my best to make an effort to get off of my phone, read a book, and journal rather than falling asleep in the middle of watching TikTok videos!
This pink rose moon milk has been a great addition to my nightly bedtime ritual. I've also incorporated running a diffuser for aromatherapy and using a sound machine for some relaxing white noise. These things have helped me get in the habit of actually winding down before hitting the sack. Drinking a sleep tonic has improved my quality of sleep as well.
Why You'll Love This
- Warming and calming- This is the perfect Ayurvedic beverage for a chilly evening. It's has ashwaganda, an adaptogen to help relieve stress and anxiety.
- Naturally dairy free and gluten free- Plant-based milk makes this moon milk dairy free.
- No refined sugars- This moon milk is naturally sweetened with honey.
- Easy to make- You don't have to worry about juicing beets since this recipe uses beetroot powder.
What is Moon Milk?
Moon milk is a soothing, creamy drink that consists of warm milk mixed with spices and herbs that help the body and mind to relax and fall sleep at bedtime. These drinks are usually colored vibrantly but naturally with ingredients like butterfly pea flower powder, turmeric, pitaya, and beetroot powder (what I used to color this pink moon milk). I think it was the colors that made the moon milk trend start to take off on social media.
Moon milk started to become trendy in 2018. It rose to popularity around the same time as golden milk (aka turmeric lattes) did. What both of these drinks have in common is that they are both rooted in the ancient Indian holistic healing tradition of Ayurveda.
Ayurveda is one of the oldest natural healing systems in the world. Ayurveda is a Sanskrit word that translates to 'knowledge of Life'. In Ayurveda, plants and herbs are used for their medicinal properties. True to the tradition, each ingredient in this pink moon milk recipe has a specific purpose and will help you destress, unwind, and dream big.
Here are some notes on a few of the ingredients used in this moon milk recipe. For the full ingredient list, please see the recipe card below!
- Milk- Drinking warm milk is an age-old bedtime ritual. Plant milk (oat milk, almond milk) contain melatonin and tryptophan- both of which help with sleep.
- Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate- Unsweetened tart cherry juice is full of nutrients and antioxidants. Tart cherries are also a natural source of melatonin, tryptophan, and anthocyanins. Melatonin is responsible for the regulation of the body's internal clock and sleep-wake cycle. In short, it helps you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. The tryptophan and anthocyanin can boost the effects of melatonin.
- Beetroot- This can help promote healthy blood flow.
- Ashwagandha- This is an adaptogen and one of the most important medicinal herbs in Ayurveda. It can help to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Ginger- Ginger root has tons of antioxidants and is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Raw honey- Honey is also a great source of antioxidants. It can aid in soothing sore throats and coughs. Honey also has antibacterial properties.
- Rosewater and dried rose petals- The rose petals certainly help this drink look beautiful, but the fragrance is also intoxicating and helps to soothe your senses.
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Add ingredients to a pot. Add all of your ingredients to a small saucepan on the stove.
STEP 2: Cook the moon milk. Set the burner to medium-low, whisking the mixture together until all the ingredients are well combined.
STEP 3: Pour into mugs. Once the moon milk starts to get warm, steamy, and frothy, take the saucepan off the burner. Pour the pink moon milk into mugs.
STEP 4: Garnish and serve. Garnish the sleep tonic with dried rose petals, lavender buds, and an additional drizzle of honey. Then, get ready to sleep tight.
There are quite a few ingredients you can add to this pink moon milk.
- CBD oil- A few drops of CBD oil will help you relax even more. My favorite CBD brands at the moment are Ned and Equilibria.
- Collagen peptides- For an extra boost of protein and nutrition, you can add a scoop of collagen peptides. Collagen is great for your hair, skin, and nails.
- Cardamon- You may want to add a dash of ground cardamom to your sleep tonic. Cardamom compliments the rose flavor so well. It is so comforting and warming, and it has a ton of health benefits as well. You could also add a little pinch of cinnamon!
While you can't leave out the cherry juice or beetroot powder, you can substitute some of the other ingredients.
- Maple syrup- This can be substituted for the raw honey to make this moon milk totally vegan.
- Ground ginger- This can be substituted for the fresh ginger if you don't have any on hand.
- Dairy milk- If you aren't following a plant-based diet and aren't sensitive to dairy, feel free to use dairy milk instead of plant-based.
- Orange blossom water- You can use orange blossom water instead of rose water for a citrusy twist.
Make sure to frequently stir the moon milk while it is simmering. This helps to prevent the milk from burning.
If you find that your moon milk is not sweet enough, you can add more honey to taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nope! It has an earthy, slightly spicy flavor though (because of the ginger). It's delicious yet medicinal.
Yes! If you don't have raw honey, you can use clover honey any other kind you have on hand. You could also substitute maple syrup.
If you are not allergic, you absolutely can use dairy milk instead of non-dairy.
Looking for More Pink Recipes?
Rose Moon Milk
- 8 oz unsweetened plant milk oat, almond, coconut, or cashew
- ¼ cup tart cherry juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon beetroot powder
- ¼ teaspoon ashwagandha powder
- 2 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 teaspoon rosewater
- 1 dash Ginger freshly grated
- Add all of the ingredients to a small pot on the stove.
- With the burner on medium-low, whisk the ingredients together until well combined.
- Serve in mugs right as the liquid begins to froth and steam.
- Enjoy and then hit the sack!